Setting Goals and Clearing Hurdles With My May TBR
Full Transparency: I have never set a reading goal for myself that wasn’t attached to an academic class. So the idea that I am making a reading list for the month of May is quite interesting to me. Actually I’m really excited by it. But there are a few hurdles that I must clear on the track to May Reading Greatness…
- I may, possibly, be a mood reader…sometimes it depends on the time of day whether I want to read fiction or non-fiction.
- My eyes are bigger than my stomach…ie it’s been five minute since I wrote out my to-read list and I am already casting longing glances at other books in my TBR pile that I want to start too.
- Competing story time. Somehow my evening reading time gets co-opted into my kids’ story time on more than a few nights a week.
What is the Plan of Attack?
- Set aside dedicated reading time where I am on one side of the room and my phone is on the other side. Social Media is such a lovely and fun distraction! Sometimes I find myself scrolling more than I am reading. 👀
- Make said reading time after the kids are in bed…
- Allow myself an indulgence here and there when I find a book so irresistible that I must read it right now too.
How Did I Make This Month’s Reading List?
We will see how I make out with this month’s list in a few weeks. But, if you are wondering how I compiled my list, it has a mix of the following:
- Arcs that are going to have their publish date soon or have had it recently (Off the Record by Camryn Garrett, Instructions for Dancing by Nicola Yoon, Everything You Wanted to Know About Indians But Were Afraid to Ask by Anton Treuer)
- Personal interest based on buzz I’ve seen around Bookstagram (Hood Feminism by Mikki Kemdall)
- Favorite genre – I love everything about fairy tales! (Cinderella is Dead by Kaylynn Bayron)
I will be back with an update around May 31/June 1ish to let you know how it all went down. What are your reading goals for the month of May? Have you ever tried making a reading list before? How did it work out for you?