This month was all about young adult fiction for me. I will have a chance to meet two of the authors from my list below (virtually) so I wanted to read their latest releases. All of my reading was a combination of audiobook and then the physical book for a reread for review purposes. I also reviewed two new children’s books that the kids and I liked. Check out the titles below in my May Reading Wrap-up.
What I Read And What I Thought:
- Ballad & Dagger by Daniel Jose Older: I listened to the audiobook and did a reread using the physical copy. I recommend both versions – the audiobook for language pronunciation and the physical book for the annotation, the map and the poetry interludes. This was a great multicultural adventure book and I can’t wait for book two to come out. 5 Reasons I Loved Ballad & Dagger by Daniel José Older
- Hollow Fires by Samira Ahmed: This is the second book I have read of Ahmed’s and I absolutely loved it. I listened to it via audiobook and then went back to the physical copy for annotations and the cool text features like the truth/fact statements at the beginning of chapters, the text messages and the news features like blog posts, news and court excerpts. I also listened to Internment by Samira Ahmed as an audiobook and the same narrator read Hollow Fires. So if you are looking for an audiobook recommendation, I definitely recommend! Review is coming!
- The Awakening of Malcolm X by Ilyasah Shabazz and Tiffany D. Jackson: This was another audiobook read and I loved the narrator! I actually started this book last year, but that is no reflection on the quality of the book because I picked up right where I left off and was just as immersed in it as I was when I began reading it. Now that is a feat! This is the part of Malcolm X’s story when he was in prison and began refocusing his efforts on learning more using the prison library. Review is coming!
- Josey Johnson’s Hair & Holy Spirit by Esau McCaulley: A great children’s book that is Christian-based and hair positive. It’s the story of a father telling his daughter about Christ’s love and Pentecost. Review: Josey Johnson’s Hair and the Holy Spirit
- Mermaid Kenzie: Protector of the Deeps by Charlotte Sherman: This was a cute story of a little girl who is a marine environmentalist. She dresses up as a mermaid as she explores the ocean and beach. She also gets her neighbors together to clean up the beach from trash. Review- Mermaid Kenzie: Protector of the Deeps
Do you read Young Adult fiction?