So 2022 is halfway done and this chick definitely has hands. Just in a different way than 2021 and 2020. I’ve seen the #midyearbookfreakout tag trend but I don’t really have time for freak out energy. I love reading and reviewing and promoting books! So whatever doesn’t get read will get read sooner or later. I do this for joy. Plus I have three little ones so life happens and I have to adjust. However, I do think it’s a great idea to check in on some goals that I have for myself as a reader and blogger. So here is my Mid-Year Reading Check in!
Blogging and Reading Goals
I’m been doing a lot of experimenting with what works and what doesn’t as things constantly change in my life. Since I began this blog while I was working from home it has been a challenge to adjust to a different schedule of when I can dedicate time to writing content. So I’m going to try the following:
- Review Batching. Specifically writing a bunch of reviews together in an allotted time. Sometimes when I finish a book, I have a difficult time starting the next one if I stop to write a review. I lose my reading momentum and get frozen in the “what do I read next? zone.”
- Planning out non-review content. It’s hard for me to plan review content ahead of time because that depends on when I finish the book. But I can plan other content so that I have regular posts for the blog. My personal favorite last year was the Friday Night Highlights – Currently Reading feature. I’m thinking about bringing that back in a shorter version. I had a lot of fun writing those, because they were purely reaction-based to what I was reading and included a lot of “hold up! what did I just read?” moments.
- Reading Goals: Those are still the same. I like to stay flexible because I’m a mood reader. Sometimes a book catches my attention, I will start it but something will distract me (like I have to return it to the library and wait to get it again) and my reading will pause for a while. I rarely DNF, but I do CBL (Come Back Later) regularly. So one of my goals is to clean up my currently reading since last year list.
- NetGalley Goals: Whew! Folks if you want to talk about pressure to someone who likes to clear her to-do lists… In my defense, I rack up a lot of book additions to my NetGalley list from publishers in November each year due to my membership in NCTE and ALAN. So I don’t feel guilty about those books. But I am currently working on clearing my NetGalley list of books I personally chose.
My 2022 Faves So Far:
- Love Radio by Ebony LaDelle
- Hollow Fires by Samira Ahmed
- Wash Day Diaries by Jamila Rowser and Robyn Smith
- I Must Betray You by Ruta Sepetys
- The Personal Librarian by Marie Benedict and Victoria Christopher Murray
A Few Stats
A few stats for my Mid-Year Reading Check in.
- #20BooksbyBlackWomen: I’m currently at 15 out of 20.
- #10Books10Decades Challege: I’m at 4 out of 10. This one is going to make me dig deep because most of my reading is focused on new releases.
- #MoodReadersDeight: Getting ready to start this one and I will see what I’ve already read this year that applies to the prompts.
Leave a Reply