This post contains affiliate links you can use to purchase the book. If you buy the book using that link, I will receive a small commission from the sale.
November is Native American Heritage Month and in the book community that means amplifying the voices and books of Indigenous authors especially during this time. At the beginning of November, I was blessed to come across a post by my #bookstagram buddy @Bookish_afrolatina in which she discussed joining the @_Indigathon Reading Challenge. I decided to check it out and join in.
They had some great reading recommendations and you should check out their account on Instagram. The group read was Apple in the Middle by Dawn Quigley. I had to request it from my state interlibrary loan system so it took awhile to get here. I will be reading it ASAP, because, you know…library due dates. But I’m excited to get into it.
If you haven’t heard of @_Indigathon, then you should check out their account on Instagram! I came away with some awesome reading recommendations for books written by Indigenous authors. I plan to join them again for their reading challenge next year, especially since I got a late start this year and wasn’t able to check that many boxes off on my challenge list. But that is okay, I have plenty of reads to last me all year. You should check out their book recommendations post.
What Indigenous authors have you read lately or plan to read?
I had fun reading these books with my kids. We might even try making the Fry Bread recipe before we return the book to the library. I love fry bread!!! I will be posting individual reviews of these books soon. All of them were excellent with beautiful stories and pictures.
- Fry Bread by Kevin Noble Maillard (Author), Juana Martinez-Neal (Illustrator)
- I Sang You Down From the Stars by Tasha Spillet-Sumner(Author), Michaela Goade (Illustrator)
- We Are the Water Protectors by Carole Lindstrom (Author), Michaela Goade (Illustrator)
- 🎧 Jo Jo Makoons: The Used-To-Be Best Friend By Dawn Quigley (Author), Tara Audibert (Illustrator)
- Apple in the Middle by Dawn Quigley
- Braiding Sweetgrass by Robin Wall Kimmerer
- The Marrow Thieves by Cherie Dimaline
- Hunting by Stars by Cherie Dimaline
- A Snake Falls to Earth by Darcie Little Badger
- Firekeeper’s Daughter by Angeline Boulley
- Ancestor Approved by Cynthia Leitich Smith